Apr 7, 2008

What is this word game?

Just short snippets from me…

I did not know that this new job as a kindergarten teacher will take whatever free time that I had 7 days a week. Monday to Friday, it is work at school and later in the afternoon, day care work. Saturday to Sunday, it is preparation for next week’s school activities. Whatever time I have in between, I spend it on housework – the only time I can afford to clean the bedroom and the bathroom is on Saturday and Sunday.

But I am not complaining though – the money is still good and it is a good “educational” journey for me till now. I never recalled having to face the same level of education when I was in my nursery, same goes with my husband who was in church based nursery.

Somehow in the last 20 – 30 years, the level of education has gone up so high that people like me have to start learning all over again. Open the English books and I can’t describe 50% of the words there without a peek into the Oxford dictionary.

Take for example the word “FONT”. If you look at the meaning in the net, it is also know as a basin for holding baptismal water in a church or a receptacle for holy water; a stoup or the oil reservoir in an oil-burning lamp or an abundant source; a fount and a complete set of type of one size and face.

Now how one will describe this to a 5 year old of what it means…simple and plain.

No comments: